1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp. Saigon cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg powder or grated whole nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup black tea, freshly brewed (1 tsp of black tea or tea bag + 1/2 cup warm water)
1/4 cup chopped almonds (roasted and unsalted)
A little whipped cream adds a beautiful finish to this spicy cake! The original Spiced Honey Cake recipe can be found on Whole Spice.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger.
3. Whisk the honey and black tea in another bowl.
4. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer at high speed for 3 minutes.
5. Reduce speed to low, and gradually add the oil.
6. Then add the honey and tea mixture and mix for an additional minute.
7. Add flour mixture and mix until nearly combined.
8. Add chopped almonds and finish mixing the batter with a rubber spatula, scraping the bottom of bowl.
9. Pour into a cake pan that has been lightly sprayed with oil, and bake in the center rack of the oven for 25 minutes.
10. Cool completely (about 30 minutes) before cutting.
11. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a spoonful of crème fraîche.