Fried Shiitake Mushrooms
Course: Appetizer, Main Course
A great dish as a starter or main dish! Crispy, delicate crust lets you taste the mushrooms! Great vegan option!
- 1 LB shiitake mushrooms (or other firm mushroom)
- 2-3 cups grapeseed oil for deep frying
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, cut into small leaves
- Prepare mushrooms (brush away any flecks or dirt particles). Set aside.
- Prepare batter. Mix all ingredients ingredients until combined and resembles pancake batter. Use water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Add grapeseed oil to wok, deep fryer or fry pan. Heat to 360°F.
- Carefully dip each mushroom into batter to fully cover cap and stem. Place on a plate and repeat.
- When oil has reached 360F add mushrooms. Fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes each side.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove all mushrooms and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Quickly throw in parsley leaves carefully as it will splash in the oil! Carefully fry quickly to preserve the green color. Remove from oil and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Plate the mushrooms. Top with fried parsley. Eat immediately with lemon aioli dip or tomato sauce or pepper dip