Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Tags: Christmas, Holiday, Pie, Pumpkin, Squash, Thanksgiving, Vegetarian, Winter
Course: Breakfast, Dessert
Pumpkin pie is an American classic often enjoyed at all holiday gatherings. Luckily, it's easier to make than you might think. Why not opt for a homemade instead of store-bought pie at your next get together.
- 2 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup Salute Santé! Grapeseed Oil
- 2 tbsp room temperature butter
- 5 tbsp cold water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz pumpkin purée canned or fresh
- 1/4 cup milk
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the Salute Santé! Grapeseed Oil and butter to the flour and salt.
- Beat with a mixer until particles are the size of small peas, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add water, one tablespoon at a time, until particles are moistened. Use only enough water to make the pastry form a ball.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Roll to 1/8-inch thickness between 2 waxed paper sheets.
- Place pastry on a pie plate or tart dish (makes two 8 or 9-inch single crusts or one 8 or 9-inch double crust.)
- Press firmly against bottom and sides and shape into tart dish.
- Trim and crimp edges. Tow 8 or 9-inch single crusts or one 8 or 9-inch double crust.
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Whisk sugar and eggs in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add all spices and pumpkin to sugar and eggs.
- Slowly add milk to the bowl while whisking, maintaining a creamy consistency.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes until set.
Our favorite source for dried spices is Whole Spice. They have the freshest spices which means more flavor! We love their Organic Cinnamon, Ceylon, and Saigon cinnamons - any will work here mixed with their ground ginger and ground cloves for that magic "pumpkin pie" flavor!