Fresh Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Tags: Gluten Free, Kid Friendly, Lactose Free, Sauce, Simple, Tomato, Vegan, Vegetarian
Course: Side Dish
A classic tomato sauce recipe that the whole family will love. It's great for pasta, pizzas, or chicken or eggplant parmesan.
- 15 mixed variety red tomatoes more if desired
- 1 small onion chopped fine (optional)
- 2 tbsp Salute Sante! Grapeseed Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped fine
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 dash turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup parsley
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Dice all of the tomatoes into small chunks or mix in a blender for about 30 seconds, just until chopped (if you like a chunkier sauce, only blend half).
- If using an onion, dice the onion.
- Sauté the onion in Salute Santé! Grapeseed Oil in a 3-5 quart pot over medium heat until golden.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot (with onions), cover.
- Add the garlic, oregano, bay leaves, and parsley to the pot.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes on low heat, stirring often.
- Add the sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Allow to cook on low heat, uncovered about 20 more minutes until thick.
Yields: 2-3 cups sauce. You can also freeze sauce for future use.