Marie-Hélène's Apple Cake
Tags: Apple, Baking, Brunch, dessert, Fall
This is our grapeseed oil version of a classic - the Marie-Helene Apple Cake by Dorie Greenspan. Such a wonderful use of Fall apples! A perfect blend of tart, crisp and sweet comes together using 4 different varieties – always offers a unique new version every time if you mix it up a bit! The first time I tasted this I had to run home to make one cause I couldn’t get enough!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, or GF flour Can mix almond and GF mix
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 4 apples, large if you can, choose 4 different kinds
- 2 eggs, large
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Salute Santé! Cold Pressed Grapeseed Oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter an8-inch springform pan and line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in small bowl.
- Peel the apples, cut them in half and remove the cores. Cut the apples into 1- to 2-inch chunks.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until they're foamy.
- Pour in the sugar and whisk for a minute or so to blend. Whisk in the rum and vanilla.
- Whisk in half the flour and when it is incorporated, add half the melted butter and half the grapeseed oil, followed by the rest of the flour and the remaining grapeseed oil and butter, mixing gently after each addition so that you have a smooth, rather thick batter. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the apples, turning the fruit so that it's coated with batter. Scrape the mix into the pan and poke it around a little with the spatula so that it's evenly positioned in the pan.
- Slide the pan into the oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden brown and a knife inserted deep into the center comes out clean; the cake may pull away from the sides of the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Carefully run a blunt knife around the edges of the cake and remove the sides of the spring form pan. Open the springform slowly, and before it's fully opened, make sure there aren't any apples stuck to it. Allow the cake to cool until it is just slightly warm or at room temperature. Carefully remove the bottom of the pan while sliding the cake onto a serving dish or turn the cake over onto a serving dish.
Products In This Recipe
Cold Pressed 1 GAL Grapeseed Oil
Cold Pressed Grapeseed Oil 1L can
Cold Pressed Grapeseed Oil 1L 3-Pack