Chocolate Orbit Cake
Tags: Bake, cake, Chocolate, dessert, Simple, Sweet
Our all time favorite, this decadent chocolate cake will make everyone beg for more! Originally David Lebovitz's Orbit Cake Recipe, then Scharffen Berger's recipe, we tweek it a bit to call it our own! Enjoy!
- 8 tbsp. Unsalted butter cut into 1/4-inch cubes, plus more for the pan
- 1/3 cup Salute Santé! Grapeseed Oil
- 9.75 oz 62% Semisweet Chocolate finely chopped
- 5 large Eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- Whipped Cream to serve
- 1 cup Perfect Puree Red Raspberry Puree Optional
- 1 bag frozen raspberries, thawed
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9 by 2-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces.
- Place the butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over gently simmering water. Whisk occasionally until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Gradually whisk in the melted chocolate mixture, and continue whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan in a larger baking pan, and cover the top of the cake pan with foil. Add enough very hot water to the baking pan to come halfway up the sides of the cake pan, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the cake has set. To test, touch the center of the cake lightly with your fingers: the surface will be slightly tacky, but your fingers should come away clean.
- Carefully remove the cake pan from the water bath and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cake will separate from the pan edges. Run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen the sides. Warm the bottom of the cake pan with a hot towel to warm the bottom evenly and loosen the cake. Invert onto a serving plate. Peel off the parchment paper.
- Prepare the raspberry sauce. Blend entire bag in blender. Or use Perfect Puree Raspberry puree.
- Cut into thin slices and serve each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and raspberry sauce poured over the top. Add a few fresh raspberries on top.