- 2 tbsp Salute Santé! Grapeseed Oil.
- 1 tbsp Salute Santé! Chili Grapeseed Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1-2 cups water use as needed as lentils thicken
- In a large pot, heat the grapeseed oil and chili grapeseed oil. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt and black pepper and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, 1 cup water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with lemon or lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro
- OPTIONAL: Using an immersion blender you can pureé half the soup for a smoother texture.
We modified this recipe somewhat, by using grapeseed oil instead of olive oil, and fresh lime instead of lemon. We did not blend it, since the wonderful chunky texture was great! It cooked quickly within a half hour and tasted amazing! Drizzle some lemon grapeseed oil at the end for an even stronger citrus flavor!!!